Adding KAGRA events to GraceDB
Created by Alex on January 28, 2017. Copied from redmine (https://bugs.ligo.org/redmine/issues/5071)
The purpose of this ticket is to track the future development of the uploading and sharing protocol for events from KAGRA. The below points came as a result of a face-to-face conversation at the University of Tokyo on January 28, 2017. Open issues include:
How to compartmentalize KAGRA events from LIGO events? Options include (but are not limited to): Standing up a separate KAGRA GraceDB instance. KAGRA will use separate authentication to restrict access, but access to coincident LIGO events would be unavailable. Using the existing GraceDB infrastructure, but restricting access to events to users with a separate KAGRA authentication, e.g., only KAGRA users can have access to events uploaded by KAGRA. Event data-exchange between LIGO and KAGRA users. Scenarios include events that are determined to be significant due to LIGO-KAGRA coincidence; what data about the event would be available to LIGO/KAGRA members? If and how to restrict KAGRA uploads in the age of public LIGO data? This is an open issue for VIRGO events as well.
- Event data format. What will be the format of events uploaded to GraceDB? Would there need to be modification to GraceDB's data parser to accept KAGRA events?
Please add any relevant parties to this conversation, as needed. Relevant watchers for the ticket should be:
Updating this ticket, September 15 2021:
As of today, KAGRA members have:
- Access to GraceDB via X509 certificates (https://git.ligo.org/computing/helpdesk/-/issues/506)
- Access to GraceDB via Shibboleth (#186 (closed))
To my best understanding of the MOU and how it's implemented now, KAGRA members have equal upload and access privileges as LSC members. So the previous discussion regarding separation of GraceDB instances and restricting data access seems to be moot. That leaves the event data format.
This is just a matter of getting an example event upload that has entries for KAGRA's contribution. So, part of the
instruments column, an additional
sngl_inspiral table, etc. Once pipelines have an example event upload ("Sample Event?" in the table below), then I can upload and fix GraceDB's upload parser. The things I need to test are:
- Does the event file get ingested into GraceDB without error?
- Are the various event properties and and table entries parsed and input into the database? Are the KAGRA-relevent columns ingested? For example, does it recognize a
K1instrument column; is KAGRA's
sngl_inspiraltable in the db?
- Are the tables legible and formatted correctly on the event's landing page? Is the data visible?
- Is the KAGRA data returned as part of the LVAlert and event
I started the table below to track the progress.
|Pipeline||Sample Event?||Upload Correctly?||Parse Correctly?||View Correctly?||LVAlert Contents||Link|
Ahead of O4, I will also need a list of KAGRA members who will need to upload new events, and to what pipelines.