This merge request contains a series of patches that fix and improve the streaming coincidence engine in lalburst (used by the cosmic string and inspiral search pipelines). A problem was identified in the cosmic string search wherein only 50% of injections that should have formed triples succeeded in doing so. No similar problem has been observed in the inspiral search and the difference appears to be the choice of sign in the offsets used for forming time shifted candidate lists (the inspiral search only ever uses +ve offsets while the string search uses both +ve and -ve). This patch sequence adds a boat load of documentation to explain how the coincidence algorithm works because I couldn't remember when I started digging into this. It also contains a relatively small number of tweaks to the algorithm only one of which is obviously a bug fix, however altogether they succeed in fixing the string search so somewhere in there was the problem. There are also a few issues in the lalapps_burca command line tool that get fixed.
API Changes and Justification
Backwards Compatible Changes
- This change introduces no API changes
- This change adds new API calls
Backwards Incompatible Changes
- This change modifies an existing API
- This change removes an existing API
If any of the Backwards Incompatible check boxes are ticked please provide a justification why this change is necessary and why it needs to be done in a backwards incompatible way.
Not reviewed. Stress-tested locally against a brute-force all-possible-coincs code and it passes (it didn't when I started). Once pushed, testing by calling codes can begin.